Saturday, August 6, 2011

Tommy attempting to watch Cars

video
This started out at a comment to jillsmo 's latest blog. But if I post this and not tell you why i'm posting it then, it would seem I post random weird videos of me torturing my kid. lol!

 I, very much like you.. won't put him in situations he doesn't like.  For me its like, TRY the broccoli.  If you don't LIKE the broccoli, then you never have to eat it again, but at least TRY it. Lets SEE if you like it.  If he doesn't like it, then ok we don't have to do it again.  Sometimes we'll re-visit a thing.. and try it again.  We always have to TRY. I will post a video. Of him TRYING to watch Cars on DVD. He REALLY didnt want to watch it (which totally makes zero sense because he saw Cars 2, in the theater, TWICE!)  I'll set a timer.  Try it for THIS many minutes, and if you don't like it, you can leave.   He's always rewarded for trying.  For me, its VISUALLY (by DOING it) showing him that he is INVITED to do this "whatever we're doing" with us.  Sometimes he stays (the other night we watch the Conan- Can't Stop documentary . He loves Conan.) Other times, he takes his reward and says, see ya later.  Its gotta  be a give or take.  He can't like everything.  And he's gotta have HIS time. Let him have time to enjoy his own time.  


Thats just what works for us. (currently he's really withdrawing from us.. but a lot of this is teenager stuff. as a young boy, it was much different than what you read on my blog. In other words, don't look at my situation and think **gasp!!** Tommy's got other issues.. not just autism)

6 comments:

  1. What was it like when he was younger? Did you do this kind of thing then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Volume was WAY too freaking loud DAD!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. always. He was open to more things when he was younger. He's going through a thing of Anti- ANYTHING cartoon or kid stuff. HATES PBS with a passion (he grew up with PBS) Hates Disney like you can't even imagine. Again grew up LOVING with Wiggles!! Its bizarre! But at the same time, I allow it because at his school, there are 20 yr olds still watching Sesame Street. But expected to act appropriate with NT peers. Now, he's gotten a bit rigid. He WILL try, even if for a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, yeah, I wanted to cover MY ears! I need to try this trick. I love how he got his brownie and trotted right off...ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yes. He knows the routine lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd be covering my ears too! I like how he held out for the brownie. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete